Thursday, August 5, 2010

July

We started July out with a two week mommy & me swim camp at a swimming school. Landon had been a little nervous in the pool, so I thought some more exposure & lessons with other kids his age might help. He wasn't too sure about things when we got to a new place with lots of new sights & sounds. We only had one other little boy in our class who was about 2 months younger than Landon & he already loved the water. As we got into the pool I told our instructor about him being nervous in the pool & how I was hoping lessons would help. Within the first 10 minutes of class Landon was less than excited about the instructor (a 20-something guy with facial hair) wanting to hold him.Of course I'm trying to be cheerful with lots of 'Yay's & 'Wee's, when the instructor starts this little motor boat chant where he's holding Landon on his tummy (like he's body surfing on the water). Well, the motor boat song ended with him spinning around in a circle at top speed & Landon's face going under the water. >:-/ Needless to say from that point forward Landon was afraid of the guy, crying anytime he got near us & holding onto my neck for dear life. The guy's heart was in the right place, but I really think that might have been his first infant class & he had no experience with a child who was scared. The second day I went in with some ground rules for the instructor (which I think took him by surprise & scared him a little). It took several days of reassuring Landon before we could get through a class without him crying, but to make a long story short, he did gradually improve over the two week time period. He went under the water (with me) several times & actually even started to enjoy some of the activites. I don't think I was ever so happy for 2 weeks to be over though. We've been to our neighborhood pool a few times since then & it's got much smoother. We also had a family swim party last weekend that he really enjoyed. I think the swim class was just too much at once.

Unfortunately my great Grandma Whitford passed away in July at the age of 95. We're all sad to lose her, but I also feel blessed that Landon was able to meet his great great Grandma & we have pictures of five generations together. I know not everyone gets that opportunity & that she lived a very long & happy life. She lived for many years in the tiny town of Earth, TX (about an hour north of Lubbock), so we traveled there for her services & to celebrate her life. While there we had the opportunity to see a lot of extended family & friends we hadn't seen in many years. So, although it was a sad time, it was also a time of togetherness. Landon did really well in the car for the long drive there & back. He started doing this hilarious arm waving dance to a certain song that I just had to record.

We've been asking Landon 'How old are you going to be?' And he says 'Two!'. He talks constantly & is so full of energy. On the days he goes to daycare I'll pick him up & ask him what he did at Mrs. Donna's house & he'll launch into all sorts of details for the ride home. I can't understand it all of course, but I hear the other kids' names & words like car & dog so I know they're exciting stories. We're so happy that he enjoys his days there so much. It's invaluable knowing your child's time away from you is spent in a safe & happy environment!






No comments: