Thursday, December 24, 2009

Big Weekend

Last weekend we went to Denton to see our good friend Jeff graduate from UNT. I was worried Landon would be difficult & we'd spend the whole time letting him walk around outside the coliseum, but he did great during the entire graduation. He sat quietly & even clapped when everyone else cheered. I think he was amazed by all the people & noises. We got together for bbq with Jeff's other family & friends afterwards & had so much fun!

I had the following Monday off work so we could go to the ICE exhibit at the Gaylord Texan Hotel. For those of you who don't live in the area, it's this huge exhibit they do each year. This year's theme was the Grinch & they carved over 2 million pounds of ice into different characters & scenes. It's pretty amazing. It's only 9 degrees in there, so they issue these huge parkas for you to wear. Landon enjoyed the exhibit a lot, but he didn't enjoy the parka. They only have one kid size & his arms wouldn't stay in the arm holes because it was so big on him. He'd end up with his arms in the body part, straining like he was in a straight jacket. The parka also made it very difficult to hold him because you had to make sure he didn't slide right out of the jacket. The hotel is huge & was beautifully decorated for Christmas inside & out. They had little trains set up to run all over the big atrium. It was really neat to see. Next year I think we'll go earlier so it's not quite so crowded though.

After the Gaylord we decided to take Landon in for his 1st haircut! We've been at a bit of a standoff about this for the past month. Darren has wanted to get his hair cut & I've been putting it off...knowing that would be one step farther from 'baby' status. I finally had to admit he was getting a bit of a tail in the back & his hair was past his ears on the sides. Besides, we had to get him in for a cut before his Grandpa got ahold of him! (just kidding Michael) :) We took him to this great kid place recommended by our sitter & my college roommate. They had a fun play area in the front & the chair he sat in for the cut was a little car with a steering wheel. They knew it was his first haircut, so the stylist was much more prepared for what was coming than I was. He was enjoying the little car & watching cartoons on the tv until she whipped out the clippers. To say he wasn't happy is an understatement. You'd have thought she was pulling his hair out by hand with the way he reacted. I was expecting a few tears, but he was much more upset than that. The shock must have shown on my face because the stylist started reassuring me that his reaction was normal, they see it all the time, he was ok, just didn't like the vibration of the clippers, etc. Thank goodness Darren was there to give me positive reinforcement or I might've snatched him up & run out of the place. She was amazingly fast & it couldn't have been over soon enough for me. Before all of the drama, she had clipped off his little curl in the back with scissors, put it in a tiny bag attached to a keepsake '1st haircut' certificate for his baby book. I miss running my hands through his soft baby hair, but his new cut does look really cute.
I can't believe it's Christmas Eve! Where did the year go?! I didn't get around to sending Christmas cards this year...just wanted to let everyone know you weren't marked off the list. The holidays just snuck up on me this year. I barely got my gifts purchased & haven't even finished wrapping yet. I'm actually working from home today, but hoping we'll be 'off the hook' early. We're looking forward to spending time with family tomorrow. It was 75 degrees yesterday & now it's snowing! Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!!

No comments: